Friday, August 16, 2013

Back on the Bandwagon

As you may have noticed from my race listing, my race season in 2013 has dropped to almost zero. 
As February rolled around, and my Half Ironman training was to begin, I kept stalling.  I would say..."it's only February, I can run tomorrow".  Apparently there are a few things in life that training could not "fix" for me.  So I spent my summer rebuilding my "House", both literally, and mentally.  In fact, my first project of the morning tomorrow is a little spackling.

Anyway, a few weeks ago "IT" hit me again.  I knew I was ready to start working out and training.  Since I haven't done much in three months, the muscles are a bit weaker, and the feet a bit slower, but trust me, they remember how to do it.  My mind was a bit behind on this plan.  The 4:45 AM alarm clock got a lot of snooze taps.

So what does it take to get back to craving a workout, needing the energy rush and release, and getting the body out of bed? Here's what I've found..
  1. Friends (Near and Far)  Here in town I have friends of different abilities reaching for their own goals.  Ask them to go workout with you.  Set a time, so if you don't show up, you are very much the "bad guy". Talking on the phone or over lunch about weekly accomplishments.  From across the country I get texts from friends letting me know how many miles they've laid down in on the bike, road, or in the lake.  Wow.  Great job! (I'd better get on it).
  2. Professional Help  I'm a member of 24 Hour Fitness.  They are open almost all the time, and offer a bunch of fitness classes every day. I have a few favorites "Athletic Training", "Spin", and "Willpower and Grace". However, if you don't go, no one will ask why you haven't come.  So I decided I needed a personal trainer of sorts.  During my research I cam across Twist Sports Conditioning.  A gym based on functional fitness training. Speed, agility, power, strength, balance, and core strength.  They offer group classes, but your absence will definitely be noticed. I have only attended three classes so far, but they have been awesome!
  3. Looking Good  I love to buy new athletic clothing. If I get a new top, pants, or wildly awesome socks, I have got to get out and show them off. Get a new item every few weeks, go to the gym, and show your stuff.  Secondly, I meet my mirror every morning.  I love the feeling of walking by and noticing new muscle definition that wasn't there last week.  That's motivation.
  4. Sweet Pain  I work out hard.  It is sometimes painful, but the feeling when the workout is done is amazing.  It becomes addictive.  I want the next workout, so I can finish and say "Yup, I did that.  I made it through, and I'm feeling exhausted, yet stronger".
What keeps you motivated to get up and workout?
How many times a week do you train to feel you've accomplished your training goal?




2 comments:

  1. Peer pressure is always a good one. Also being competitive gets me going. I always want to do better and go faster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accountability. I promised the kids I'd take them with me to the gym in the morning. If I don't go I'll have some really mad kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete